Wednesday, August 22, 2007

The First Day of School ... for Mom

Hearing noises at 5:30 this morning, it suddenly occurred to me, "It’s the first day of school!" My two high-schoolers were getting ready to catch an early bus. In a few short hours, my twins would be starting their preschool class. It was a new year and a new beginning . . . for Mom!

A guilty smile crossed my lips at the thought of some "alone time" for me. Yes, I missed my kids a lot, and I really looked forward to seeing them after school to hear about their day. But for five hours, the day was mine.

Of course, it wasn’t like I was going to lounge on the beach all day or sit on the couch eating chips and watching reruns of The Gilmore Girls (as tempting as that is). No, I had a full day of work ahead of me. A publisher was waiting for word from me as to whether they should publish a particular manuscript. A magazine reporter was scheduled to call to interview me about my book, Oh, Baby! I had a book proposal to write, a web site to develop, and hundreds of other details to attend to. Nope, it wasn’t to be a day of rest for me. But it would be a day of accomplishment! And when I get things done, it makes me happy, which spills over into my parenting.

In the meantime, I know that my kids are being coached to reach their full potential. My oldest has just started his last year of high school, and we’ll soon be immersed in applying to colleges and seeking scholarships. My second oldest son just started high school. It’s hard to believe that the boy who was "my baby" for so long (before the twins arrived 11 years later) is now six feet tall and starting high school. And the twins are going from a 3-hour preschool day to 5-and-a-half hours. I can’t wait to hear about eating a school lunch for the first time, the new playground, their new teacher, and all the other exciting things that filled their day.

Yes, today is the beginning of a new routine, one that’s filled with just enough balance between enjoying my kids and growing my "self." I think I’ll pour a small glass of wine and have a toast: "Here’s to a new school year!"

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. All comments are moderated and will go live after approval.