Monday, March 05, 2007

In Awe of Our Children's Beauty

Sometimes I just can’t take my eyes off my children’s beautiful faces. When I look at three-year-old Austen’s face, I see his silky smooth skin, his perfect winged eyebrows, his giant blue eyes, his shiny blond hair . . . he is truly a creature of beauty! When I see my tired old eyes and saggy skin in the mirror, it’s amazing to me that I had a part in creating such loveliness. I try not to think about the fact that someday my children will get old like me, and people will have to look deeper to see the beauty inside.

My two oldest children are teenagers now, but even though they’ve lost a lot of their childish features, I still marvel at the people they have become. It’s wondrous to watch their faces and bodies mature. Long legs suddenly emerge; the face elongates; the hands are suddenly huge! I dig up pictures from when they were much younger and try to hold on to those images that are fading from my mind. I never want to forget the innocence and beauty of their childhoods.

People magazine recently wrote of actress Gwyneth Paltrow: “She still has a sense of awe when it comes to her children. ‘When I look at my daughter’s skin, it’s the most beautiful and perfect in the world,’” she says. I couldn’t agree more . . .

So while my final two children are still young, I’m going to drink in their loveliness. Even pictures can’t capture the perfection I’ll hold in my heart forever. Children are God’s greatest creation—true works of art.

1 comment:

  1. My husband and I like to tell people we can't believe our baby is really ours because he's so cute!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. All comments are moderated and will go live after approval.