Friday, January 05, 2007

How I "Do It All"

People often ask me how I "do it all" -- raise four children, write and edit books, take care of the household, etc. The truth is that I don’t do it all, or at least I don’t do it all well. Nobody can, and the key to happiness is to learn to accept it. Do your top priorities well, and be satisfied with “good enough” for the rest. For instance, I’m the first to admit (and my husband is the first to agree) that I don’t cook much. I hate to cook! I’m the dig-something-out-of-the-freezer- an-hour-before-dinner-type of mom. Costco is my best friend because they have so many frozen meals ready to go. Food is just not something I’m interested in. Fortunately, I married a man who is a good cook and often doesn’t mind doing it (especially since it ensures that he gets something he likes once in a while!). The important thing is that I don’t beat myself up over the fact that I’m not Betty Crocker. My family gets fed. They’re fine. And I can think of plenty of other things that I often let slide. The lesson in this is that you shouldn’t try to do everything to perfection for your family just because you’ve been told that you should. Don’t feel guilty because your friend irons all her kids’ clothes or because you brought store-bought cupcakes to the school bake sale instead of homemade. In the long haul, these are all little things. I promise you, when you’re on your deathbed, you won’t be wishing you’d ironed more! Rather, you’ll wish you’d followed your dreams and relaxed a bit more. Do it now. Be happy.

1 comment:

  1. I enjoy your blog, Susan. Thanks for sharing....
    A stay-home mom with a 11-month-old son.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. All comments are moderated and will go live after approval.