Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Need a Last-Minute Halloween Costume?

I must admit that Halloween has never been one of my favorite holidays. I just don’t like the pressure to come up with a great Halloween costume! I don’t know how to sew, and I’m creatively challenged when it comes to costumes. I thought I did pretty well for my twins this year. I bought their dinosaur costumes at 75% off after Halloween last year! Unfortunately, because the costumes are yellow and purple, my husband thinks our little boys look too “girlish.” Since when, I told him, do little girls ask to be dinosaurs? These must be little boy costumes! Anyway, at least I got a good deal, and the twins do look adorable. When you’ve got twins or a lot of children, you need to bargain shop! (So hit the Halloween sales on November 1st!) If you’re still stumped for a last-minute costume, here are a couple of ideas:

My niece Paige is trick-or-treating as a “frumpy housewife”! She’s going to put her hair up in curlers, don an old robe and slippers, and smear cold cream all over her face. Guys can go as a hobo, with an old baggy suit, a drawn-on beard, and a hat.

You may not realize that you probably have a costume in your house already! If your children are on sports teams, their uniforms make great costumes. Have girls wear their ballet costumes or cheerleader uniforms. If they’ve been in a play, dig out the costume to wear again.

Wear last year’s costume (if it still fits). Nobody will remember it’s the same as last year’s, and even if they do, who cares? Why spend the extra money for something you’re only going to wear for a few hours? Better yet, swap last year’s costumes with a friend or neighbor. Then you’ll each have something “new” to wear.

A big box can be made into lots of different costumes. When we were young, my mother transformed my sister into a table by gluing cheap plastic dishes to the top of a box, with my sister’s head poking out of the middle! Then they put flowers in her hair so she looked like the centerpiece! You can also make a robot, a box of crayons, a train…get out the paints and use your imagination!

Most of all, just have fun, and relax the rules a little bit when it comes to letting the kids chow down on a little bit of candy (after you’ve inspected it, of course)! Happy Halloween!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. All comments are moderated and will go live after approval.