Saturday, October 14, 2006

Kids Are So Noisy!

If you're sensitive to loud noises, you should never have kids. My husband and I were remarking tonight, for about the thousandth time, how it's never quiet in our house except when the kids are sleeping! Our almost-three-year-old twins, especially, just make constant noise! Whining, crying, screeching, yelling, pounding...it never ends! It does get tough at times. Sometimes we long for a little silence. I can't remember the last time I sat and quietly read a book. What a pleasure that would be! I've been thinking about doing some radio shows to talk about the books I've written, but I honestly can't figure out how I could do it without listeners hearing the kids in the background! Sure, I could closet myself in the garage, but then I couldn't hear if the kids start fighting or get hurt. And, as most parents know, as soon as the phone rings, kids instantly up the volume on their demands, as if they're jealous of the attention we're giving to someone else. I know that someday these rooms will fall silent, and I'll probably miss the sounds of a full house. It will feel lonely around here without the echoes of children's voices. But those days are a long way off yet, so in the meantime I'll keep taking my long showers in peace and savoring bedtimes!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. All comments are moderated and will go live after approval.