Tuesday, October 24, 2006

It's a Boy . . . Again?

Has your heart ever longed to have a little boy or a little girl, but things didn't quite work out the way you wanted?

When I was little, I wanted to have four children, and figured there would be at least a few girls sprinkled in. I grew up in a feminine household with my mother and just one sister. We had no boys in the family. And my father— no offense, Dad — wasn't a particularly manly man. He knew much more about cooking than kicking. I was lousy at sports and was sure I'd have daughters because I had no idea what to do with sons. I had even saved my beloved Barbie dolls to pass on to future daughters.

When my first son was born, I was surprised yet thrilled. "After all, I still have plenty of time to have a daughter," I told myself. "Surely the next one will be a girl."

When I got pregnant with my second child nearly three years later, the ultrasound technician drew an arrow pointing to a particular body part on my unborn child and typed, "It's a boy!"

Oh, dear.

"Well," I thought, "maybe it's better this way because the two boys will be company for each other. The next one will be a girl."

After a divorce, 10 years of single parenting and a new marriage, my husband and I tried for a baby. We showed up at our first ultrasound appointment eager to check out our new family member-to-be. It seemed to take the doctor an awfully long time to take the baby's measurements.

Finally, the doctor turned the screen toward us and announced, "It's twins!"

I think my husband and I caught a few flies that day because our mouths flew open in shock. Twins?

Some months after we had recovered from the news, I began to look forward to having twins. My brightest thought was that, surely, with two babies, at least one of them would be a girl, right?

Wrong! Amazingly, I gave birth to two more boys. And at 7 lb, 13 oz, and 6 lb, 9 oz, they were ready to join the family football team.

So now I am the mother of four wonderful boys. Despite an overabundance of testosterone in the house, my husband and I have decided that our family is definitely complete, and I wouldn't trade my four boys for the world.

I've now become an expert on video games, Yu-Gi-Oh cards and hockey. Still, under my bed lies a box, getting older and dustier by the minute, with my treasured Barbie dolls tucked safely inside. I'm not giving up hope yet for a girl.

"Surely," I now tell myself, "at least one of my grandchildren will be a girl."

There's still hope that I'll be buying frilly, pink clothes someday. In the meantime, I'll embrace the color blue and know that I've been given the perfect assortment of children to love.

Originally appeared on the ClubMom Web site.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. All comments are moderated and will go live after approval.