Wednesday, September 27, 2006

They're Never Too Young for Books

I was shocked the other day when a friend told me that whenever she went over to the house of a certain mother of two young children that she had NEVER seen a children's book in the house! Books are so much a part of our lives that I just couldn't imagine a house without books. Some parents may argue that babies or toddlers are too young for books, but that's just not true! Sure, they don't have the attention span to sit down and listen to the book being read cover to cover, but even young children love to explore the pictures and listen to the cadence of your voice. A couple of weeks ago, the children in my twins' preschool class were learning about Noah's Ark. The teachers told me they were amazed that my boys knew every single animal in the ark! Yesterday, they found a snail on the playground, and my twins were the only ones who could identify it as a snail. How do they know so much about animals? From books! They love to discover new animals in the books we read, and they want to look at them over and over again. They're only two-and-a-half, and they already know all their colors, can count past ten, and can match pictures with ease. They've learned all of this just by looking at books. When their teacher was telling me about how "smart" my boys are, she said, "You can tell they really spend a lot of time with their mommy." That really warmed my heart! Indeed, parents are children's first and primary teacher. Even if they attend school, it is our responsibility to help them discover the world and broaden their minds through books. If you're out and about today, buy your children some books! It's always a good investment.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. All comments are moderated and will go live after approval.