Friday, September 15, 2006

The Special Bond of Twins

I always wondered if my twins would have that special bond that some twins seem to have--that emotional connection that goes beyond most sibling relationships. Because my twins are fraternal (not identical), I had my doubts that they would share this bond. After all, they're just like any other siblings except they happened to share a womb and be born on the same day. They don't share the same genes as identical twins do. And, indeed, they are very different. Both have blond hair and blue eyes, but the physical resemblance ends there. Their features are entirely different. And their personalities are very unique, as well. For the first few years, I didn't see any evidence of a twin bond. But now that they're almost three, I'm seeing signs of its development! Suddenly, Caleb doesn't seem to sleep well with his brother across the room. For the past five nights, we have found him sleeping with his brother in his little toddler bed, the two of them entwined together. So last night we moved their beds side-by-side. Amazingly, they went right to sleep and slept beautifully. Apparently, they just needed to be closer together. I don't have any doubts that they will still be their own individuals, and will continue to have their differences, as well. But I'm also thrilled to see signs of this special bond developing. Wouldn't it be great if all siblings could share this special relationship? What a wonderful gift to grow up with your best friend by your side!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. All comments are moderated and will go live after approval.